Author Topic: Eckhart  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Lemonjelly

• Regular Pyro
    • shell caliber 3"
Eckhart
« on: January 18, 2014, 12:01:18 PM »
I'm nearly out of Eckhart. Anyone know where I could get 1/2 kg or so?

Offline leedrill

• Full Addict
  • Pyromaniac
    • shell caliber 6"
Re: Eckhart
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 12:06:34 PM »
ill take 3kg if the price aint to bad and someone does have a source

Offline JayDee2

• Full Addict
  • Pyromaniac
    • shell caliber 5"
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 01:46:39 PM »
What is Eckhart?

Offline Lemonjelly

• Regular Pyro
    • shell caliber 3"
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 03:19:16 PM »
Aluminium powder 2 micron Jay. If you haven't made flash with this, you haven't experienced real flash. You need a change of underwear handy when you see how fast this stuff goes off.
Don't like our chances actually Lee.
So few of us have actively contributed to this forum recently and even fewer have excess for sale I think.
Does seem kind of quiet round here lately. Do you think??
Come on gang. Don't be shy. We need more mad stories and questions!!

I'm always good to share if anyone's desperate by the way, but not large amounts. I'm not actively making much these days. Can't find enough secret places so close to the city and don't want to risk losing my licence
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 06:08:07 PM by Lemonjelly »

Offline Bismuth

• Full Addict
  • Pyro Supremo
    • shell caliber <2''
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 07:23:38 PM »
I've got no leads. I have a small stash (less than 50g). I use whistle for booster and I'm not a salute maker so it will last for me a while. But when it comes to small shells and cap reports it definitely helps and I have my eye out to buy enough to last 'forever'.

I suppose most people are timid to share sources in fear boomers and idiots will get in trouble/hurt themselves and the source will be put under the lens. We have a pretty good crowd here compared to the old forum, but the possibility always exists.

Offline Jessoman

• Full Addict
  • Budding Scientist
    • shell caliber 4"
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 08:08:40 PM »
Hi all,
I also would be interested in a larger quantity. However I too haven't found any leads. I believe the best way would be direct. I have heard eckhart only deal in bulk orders and I think the best way would be to organise an order if there is enough interest. Here in Australia we just have to work together and I'm only new to these forums so you all know  who is who and who is trustworthy/unsafe. That's my 2c anyway, but I'm sure our Al quantities are always running low here, not that I'm an 'F' junky. (Well I'm mainly a rocket person and you need a bit more vitamin F to mark the end of travel with  a report when they travel so far, lee would understand that issue more so ;) )

Kind regards,
Jess

** in addition I have also talked to 'Star Molecule' not sure if anyone can comment on their quality stuff, however they seem they would be willing to organise bulk shipping and they have sent here in the past successfully- obviously shipping prices are as always a joke.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 08:15:57 PM by Jessoman »

Offline Lemonjelly

• Regular Pyro
    • shell caliber 3"
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 09:44:01 PM »
All of us working together to import a bulk quantity of Eckhart  5413H??
Nah, with respect, I believe this is exactly what should NOT be attempted. Sorry Jess- chill.
There really isn't any need for any of us to have bulk quantities of Eckhart 5413, but it is handy to the true pyro who is skillful enough to know how to use it to produce the perfect break with the perfect 'doof'!!!!
For the rest of us, like Bismuth, whistle is fine. For small shells <75mm, I only use H3. No flash.
The Eckhart company will send a metric ton or so, by ship, from Germany but unless one of us is the CEO of a company using it as a pigment in paint, cosmetics, plastics or fine metal finishes, it's gunna be a hard one to explain to Customs & Imports.
Plenty of internationals sell it, but they won't deliver overseas. ( I certainly wouldn't be chuffed to know I was flying from Germany to Oz with 1 metric ton of 2 micron Al powder as freight beneath my feet)
So, who's got mates overseas? Preferably with no agenda.

Offline ANARCHY_08

• Resident Anarchist
  • Pyro Supremo
    • shell caliber >12"
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 10:22:01 PM »
yup must agree on this, iv been doing amateur pyro since 2008 and gone through 50+ kilos of KNO3, yes thats right not over estimating either.
to that amount i would have used a pound of dark Aluminium (450g) 
< There is no Government like NO Government

Offline Jessoman

• Full Addict
  • Budding Scientist
    • shell caliber 4"
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 10:30:31 PM »
I understand your point of view lemonjelly, such a sensitive topic. I was more concerned with what Bismuth said, enough to last 'forever' and not running the gauntlet overseas all the time. I was not aware of the extreme quantity required to justify a bulk order from them, incredible. I have had people over time supply me. But I am getting low so I would like to start thinking about my stocking up.

Kind Regards,
Jess

Offline Bismuth

• Full Addict
  • Pyro Supremo
    • shell caliber <2''
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 11:17:32 PM »
Star molecule might be a route if he's willing to ship it. Recently a guy on fireworking asked the question whether or not people have noticed that it's weaker compared to other aluminum but the consensus was it is as good or even better.

It's not on the concern list (see: http://www.pyrolife.com/forum/index.php?topic=125.0) so that's one +1.

Bangkok pyro another? I never ordered off him and he doesn't do chemical sales openly anymore, but he earned a reputation for selling to boomers.

Offline Lemonjelly

• Regular Pyro
    • shell caliber 3"
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 06:36:06 AM »
http://www.eckart.net/locationssubsidiaries/australia.html
Eckhart Industries Australia and NZ.
Too good to be true?

Offline Jessoman

• Full Addict
  • Budding Scientist
    • shell caliber 4"
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 10:03:52 AM »
Like I said I have talked to Christian from Star Molecule and he is willing to ship. Interesting lead on Eckhart, never noticed they were here,  you would think they'd be a bit sus. All our manufacturers would order overseas right?

Offline Lemonjelly

• Regular Pyro
    • shell caliber 3"
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 11:15:14 AM »
Don't know about 'sus'. If you have a close look, 5413H is listed as super pyro powder. I'll enquire if you like. I'm a licenced pyro so you would think I represent their demographic.

Offline Jessoman

• Full Addict
  • Budding Scientist
    • shell caliber 4"
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 11:41:03 AM »
I'm sorry, I just thought for those who are unlicensed they may have been reluctant. Anyway it would be great if there is some locally.

Offline Lemonjelly

• Regular Pyro
    • shell caliber 3"
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 12:09:24 PM »
Nah that's okay. Nothing to be sorry about. I'll rattle their cage tomorrow. They have flitter/glitter grades too. Whether these particular powders are distributed in Australia, we will see. If alls good I might just grab 10-15 kg for all of us. Should last each of us a long time- unless someone starts being a dick with the product :-) and I DO mean a dick. Nothing will draw attention more than folks making salutes and discharging them in built up areas. We're talking LOUD here!

Offline JayDee2

• Full Addict
  • Pyromaniac
    • shell caliber 5"
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 05:31:05 PM »
I hadn't heard the term Eckhart before. I have about 1kg 2um german dark aluminium powder. Is it the same as this? I have done some testing of flash in small amounts and have learnt to treat it with respect.  First time I tried 5gms it scarred the living daylights out of me. Haven't needed it for a booster in shells yet. Leedrill`s Paulownia charoal for BP rice hulls works just great for burst charge even on small shells!

Offline Lemonjelly

• Regular Pyro
    • shell caliber 3"
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 07:11:40 PM »
Eckhart is the brand of the Al powder, made in Germany. And it's 2um. So if your stuff goes off like a brides nightie with an audible 'thwarp' when  wrapped in just tissue, that's the gear.
More useful for small shells as a kick start, it also adds a nice report to the sound of small shell breaks.Some of the finer art of shell breaks (and China is very good at this), considers the sound of the break to be just as important as the visual performance, for the full "Wow"!
So it's useful stuff when used as a chef would-skillful with his seasonings.
Then.
At the other end of the scale (and hence the whole reason Eckhart (Eckies?) is so hard to acquire) is the complete "tool" who makes his first batch of flash and thinks its so impressive to be able to blow things up, abandons further  personal pyrotechnic education, makes up a shitload, blows up his landlords house and loses an arm and an eye in the process and ruins it for all of us Hogwart students committed to becoming master wizards!!
I'll hit them up tomorrow and report back.

Offline Bismuth

• Full Addict
  • Pyro Supremo
    • shell caliber <2''
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 07:18:07 PM »
In the past I have also used german dark al in deep green stars instead of MgAl as well.

I've always had poor results with using whistle in 1/4" tubes as timed reports as well, but I could be building them better. Flash just kicks the hell out of it without any effort confining the caps. I don't own a crossette pump (yet), but since I only do smalll shells I have my eye on only small sizes (3/4") and they can be hard in that size so I'm told.

And Lemonjelly is quite right. I know of three accidents in Australia alone that are a direct result of flash making. A sixteen year old kid lost a hand in NSW, another guy got busted for selling salutes after someone took their fingertips off while drunk and there's another in Victoria a while ago. Haven't heard of as many people getting busted for making black-powder based stuff.

Offline Jessoman

• Full Addict
  • Budding Scientist
    • shell caliber 4"
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 07:51:15 PM »
... gosh I have never heard it called 'Eckies' far out that's horrible and it is the epitome of some... People do wreck it for us Hogwarts students. Recently I heard off a good mate of mine that there is someone locally selling 'bungers that are really loud' so I'm assuming it's flash-based. Boy I wish I could shake him up and tell him how much of an idiot he is.

Offline Lemonjelly

• Regular Pyro
    • shell caliber 3"
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 09:48:27 PM »
Hi gang,
Just a heads up as I promised in #16.I am still waiting for Clarien Chemicals to respond to my enquiry re  Al powders and granules posted Monday. I'll keep posted!