Author Topic: Just bought a WASP Superstinger....  (Read 925 times)

Offline Bismuth

• Full Addict
  • Pyro Supremo
    • shell caliber <2''
Re: Just bought a WASP Superstinger....
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 08:43:52 PM »
All my shells fit pretty snug into the mortar with the leader attached. Even sometimes too close fitting, and I need to give it a bit of a help down. Probably not the best, but there's no real harm provided it's not jammed and it's moderate amount of help. A better fit just means you need to use less lift, which is just improved efficiency. 1/10th the weight of a shell in lift for me over-lifts my 3 inchers, and I like them a bit higher than a little too low. Is the gap of 5.5mm on each side of the shell, or just on one side if you press the shell against the mortar? Personally I'd say if it's a constant 5.5mm gap around the circumference, it's a bit too small and it could be improved. But it's workable by all means.

One concern I had pondered on, and after reading some posts from guys in the states which reinforced the idea, is the concept that masking tape around the equator of the shell affecting the break. Particularly for the WASP, it is suspected the gummed tape doesn't paste well on masking tape which I anyway (not speaking for everyone here) use to close the two halves of the shell and help close the gap. Now a lot of guys in the states use masking tape to help get the halves shut if they need it, and then use strips of the gummed tape to replace the masking tape around the equator and then do one final wrap around the equator with it. It's hard to get conclusive proof, but I'd say there's no harm in getting rid of the masking tape.

Offline JayDee2

• Full Addict
  • Pyromaniac
    • shell caliber 5"
Re: Just bought a WASP Superstinger....
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2013, 10:12:16 PM »
The 5 -5.5mm gap is when the shell is pushed to one side of the tube. . So about 2.5mm all around.

I used the same gummed tape to close around the circumference of the shell. Then a few more criss-crossing around it before putting it on the WASP.