Author Topic: Parlon Bound Stars  (Read 517 times)

Offline Astroboy

• Court Jester
  • Pyro Supremo
    • shell caliber >12"
    • Pyrolife
Parlon Bound Stars
« on: May 14, 2013, 09:07:53 PM »
Parlon Stars
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 07:16:50 PM by Astroboy »
He who dies with the most toys wins

Offline JayDee2

• Full Addict
  • Pyromaniac
    • shell caliber 5"
Re: Parlon Bound Star Compositions
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 08:50:24 PM »
I'm thinking at trying my hand at these, for my first stars. Pumped or cut.  Most of the ingredients I already have, as they are readily available "locally".

I'm not sure about what mesh size I need for oxidiser, Parlon and Red gum.  Most of my oxidisers are a "coarse powder" - guessing about 40-60 mesh, but not what you would call ball-milled. My Parlon is somewhat finer. Red Gum is big chunks that I was intending to put through the coffee grinder - but don't what mesh size I need to be aiming for, or if I need to ball mill it.

I have found plenty of info on actual chemical compositions for stars, but most do not give any details of what you actually need to to do, to prepare the materials and mix them - whether pumped or rolled.

The Brillaint Rubber Stars compositions that Astroboy posted use Magnalium for many of them.  I have 325mesh Magnalium (50/50)  Is this OK?

JD

Offline Bismuth

• Full Addict
  • Pyro Supremo
    • shell caliber <2''
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 11:04:22 PM »
Most of my oxidisers are a "coarse powder" - guessing about 40-60 mesh, but not what you would call ball-milled.

You would want them finer than that. Too fine isn't really an issue with oxidizers, unless it's a hot drossy burning prime you're making. Then you want them slower burning. I always ball-mill my KNO3. The Sr(NO3)2 and Ba(NO3)2 would benefit too, but I've mortar and pestled those two with a bit of elbow grease and they have been good with free-flowing, fine fuels. All the KClO4 I have used has been free-flowing as is.

My Parlon is somewhat finer. Red Gum is big chunks that I was intending to put through the coffee grinder - but don't what mesh size I need to be aiming for, or if I need to ball mill it. 

You want both of those very fine. I have never experimented with mesh size, but the red-gum and parlon I use are practically talcum powder fine. So mill those as well. Separate jars from fuels and oxidizers is almost a must. But otherwise, wash the jar thoroughly after milling of each. The fuels such as red-gum and parlon can obviously go together in the right ratio, depending on the composition.

I have found plenty of info on actual chemical compositions for stars, but most do not give any details of what you actually need to to do, to prepare the materials and mix them - whether pumped or rolled.

I think the accepted way to mix the composition is to screen the powders several times. Personally, I weighed each chemical and then mixed it in a ziploc bag, breaking any clumps as I went. Shaking the bag, and just ensuring it's homogeneous in colour. Other people use a mixing tub, and just make sure the lid is on tight and do the same thing. Most star compositions apart from the real exotic ones are fine to do just this. Skylighter has a project page (http://www.skylighter.com/how_to_make_fireworks.asp) which details ned making rubber stars and his entire process somewhere on that list. I personally hate using acetone and parlon, so I always added dextrin and bound it water/alcohol. I found it too sticky and messy with using parlon.

I used and still use a nurofen syringe with the end cut off as a make-shift star-pump. I'm still shit at rolling stars, talk to leedrill if you want advice on that.

The Brillaint Rubber Stars compositions that Astroboy posted use Magnalium for many of them.  I have 325mesh Magnalium (50/50)  Is this OK?

Yep, sure is. I used to only use -325 mesh until the 200 mesh was around for a while. It just burns a bit faster.

The first colours I made blew blind because I didn't know anything about priming. I like a bit of colour in my shells still, but I've strayed away from a coloured peony shell by itself and really like my glitter till this day.

Offline JayDee2

• Full Addict
  • Pyromaniac
    • shell caliber 5"
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 10:27:01 PM »
Thanks for the tips Bismuth.  I wil try the coffee mill first.  I put 1/2 kg strontium nitrate through it today in pretty short time and it seems talc fine but not sure just how consistent it is. Did the same with the red gum and it too is now talc fine, but I can still feel some "fine grit" when I rub it through my fingers.   With only a small Lortone ball mill it is going to take real long time to ball mill everything - but if that's what it takes......
Jay